Bookish stuff

I'd like to address a few topics in this post: a series of epic stature written by the brilliant and absolutely crazy Stephen King, my own (comparatively paltry) writing life, and a suggestion to my fellow literary enthusiasts.

The Dark Tower

I've been savoring The Dark Tower series over the past year or two. It boasts a total of 1,334,631 words (according to our helpful pal, Wikipedia) and uses them well, weaving a tale that spans worlds, realms, times, lives, and the enormous, tumultuous reach of good and evil. The story intrigues, amazes, and dumbfounds me, and references a diverse string of other creative works: WB Yeats' and Robert Browning's poems, the Marvel Universe, the Wizard of Oz, King's own writing, the book of Revelation. King usually writes in the genre of horror, yet while there are twisted monsters and demons, I see this story as a darker version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

A word of caution: dark and mature themes regularly appear. Though they typically prove important to the story, reading through them can be difficult. I wouldn't want my sister reading it quite yet (although she claims I'm more naive than she, and perhaps my hesitation comes more from an outdated protectiveness than any well-founded concern. She confirms  this as I ask her.)

I love love love this story. Its author inspires me so much. I'd like to get into more details, but this would require a lengthy and wholly unworthy explanation. Alternatively, you'd have to read the series yourself. I recommend the latter. Do it, and fall in love, give me someone who understands what I'm talking about. (Cason, a friend from camp, has been keeping up admirably, but I'm afraid that there's only so much fangirling two readers can take. We need another vessel.) 

They're like $4 on Thrift Books. Just buy the first, The Gunslinger, and see what you think.

My Writing

I've recently revamped my writing by finding a character with a story to tell. Just in time for a seriously heavy-loaded school semester, go figure.

Disregarding the busy season of academia (which is me 90% of the time, so note to self, find a way to write during the school semester and not go insane), I want writing to employ a lot of my time. Even though I've never published anything really significant, this laptop is stuffed with projects and ideas and even half-baked first drafts of real stories, stories that may become books with a bit of perspective and diligence. I hope to be a physicist or something sciency, yes, but I know I am supposed to be a writer. The two don't have to exclude each other.

I have one project from early spring that will manifest better as a play, and have paused its progress for the time being. It will return sometime soon, I imagine. My current project still requires a plot and several key characters before I can even think about a first draft, so I am writing here, reaching out to other, more experienced writers, and planning planning planning. But I could definitely use a community of writers and friends to ask advice or bounce ideas. This brings me to my final point.

Literary Community

A note on being busy: So I understand that everyone is busy. This is a decision we make every school year, or job or project or whatever, so it's not like I'm hapless in the face of time's whirlwind. I understand my position over actions but I also believe that I can never stop lest I risk Falling Behind. (Which is stupid, but here I am, 11:17 pm... ugh. Anthea. Yet another lesson I am learning this summer.) Maybe I need to learn to stop.

But not yet.

Anyways, everyone's haplessly busy but I have polled (very officially, mind you) my Writer Friends and fellow Literary Enthusiasts. Some of these friends I met at a camp in Colorado this summer. With the annual ritual of camp completed, these midwesterners now roam the plains, searching for water and shelter like herd animals, or abandoning a nomadic lifestyle to cultivate corn, wheat, and a healthy fear of Cityfolk. (Mostly kidding.)

But what I'm hearing from many people, both local and far-flung, is a desire for a book club of sorts, where the members both read and create fine literary material. I was wondering about an online, multi-contributor blog or site focused on discussing books both read and written. This could be a tight-knit community of learners and thinkers and doers and those who look at steep odds and the doubts of others and even the doubts in their own minds, and yet try wholeheartedly. I know places like Wattpad and fanfic archives exist, and if those serve this purpose, then wonderful. What I am trying to find is a platform for a virtual reading/writing club, an informal society of support and genius- I know you guys are crazy smart. I also see this want of mine reflected in the words and enthusiasm of so many others.

Originally, pure and ugly Business impeded any attempt at forming a physical book club, one with punch and cookies and most of the members wondering whether Earnest Hemingway really meant to create a layered and depressing commentary on War and the Human Condition when he wrote Old Man and the Sea, as the lit nerd claims as if it's obvious. But I believe a virtual discussion platform like the one I suggest would allow so much more freedom and ease of communication and is worth pursuing in its own right, not merely as a second-hand alternative.

Please let me know what you think. If I have even some support or interest, I intend to start this up, so your opinion matters.... Also, I have only a rudimentary idea of how to go about doing this, so suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you, Reader. Best and fondest regards.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust Issues

School (and a Kira eulogy)